About the Library


To enrich the minds of our community by providing a safe and inspiring environment to broaden horizons, seek and gain knowledge, and create meaningful connections.


Director: Ann Thomas

Assistant Director: Nicole Clark

Reference Librarian: Jason Fenimore

Children’s Librarian: Mai Openo

Support Staff: 
Cataloger: Lynda
Assistants: Michelle, Lisa, Bob
Clerks: Sharon, Susan

Sanford Library Association

  • Savina Hutchinson, President
  • Julie Norsworthy, Vice President
  • Tony Bauer, Treasurer
  • Christopher Winchester, Secretary
  • Henry Smith
  • Eric Logan

The Sanford Library Association meets the third Tuesday of every month.

Sanford Library Association (dba Louis B Goodall Memorial Library) is a 501c3 tax exempt organization (EIN 01-0216657).


Significant dates in Goodall Library history:

1900: First public library in Sanford opened on School Street near Washington School (now the parking lot next to the post office).

1937: Louis B Goodall Library built at the corner of Main and Elm Streets. Funded by Lela Thornburg, daughter of Mr. Goodall. Colonial revival architecture using then current construction methods. Designed by William Armitage of Portland.

1950: East side branch opened in the field house at Carpentier Park.

1963: Carpentier Branch moved to the corner of High St and North Ave.

1976: Two-story addition to Goodall Library completed. Main entrance relocated to the doors facing Elm Street.

2004: Elevator installed, funded by a Community Block Development Grant and several local foundations.

2011: Geo-thermal heating installed, along with other energy efficiency improvements. Funded by the library’s endowments, along with grants from Efficiency Maine and the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation

2024: Major renovation and expansion. Funded mainly by a federal Community Projects grant submitted by Chellie Pingree MC. Temporary re-location to Shaw’s Plaza.

Historic Images

Pictures from our past.

School Street library
School Street Library
Louis B Goodall

Louis Bertrand Goodall (1851-1935), son of Thomas Goodall, served two terms as a Member of Congress from 1917 to 1921 (photo courtesy of Sanford Springvale Historical Society).

Goodall Library
National Register Plaque
2008: Goodall Library listed on the National Register
1976 addition
1976 addition